Thursday, May 17, 2012

Book notes: Dragon's Field

A historically set novel I read recently that I actually enjoyed:

Dragon's Field by Elizabeth Gill - The book is set in the early 1900's and I was surprised by how much I liked this. Hard to classify, too. Not what I would consider a romance, but there are themes of love in the book (Fantasticfiction.co.uk classifies it as a 'Saga', whatever that is).
It was mostly a novel about two people who overcome painful childhoods and succeed in business by their wits, hard work, and strong community relationships. Their stories interweave at times - sometimes they are supporting one another and sometimes at odds, deepening into a strong bond. It's quite sad at times. Love feels real in this book - based on passion at times, mutual respect and friendship at others.

I can't find any buzz about the book on Amazon, but I quite liked it. I looked up the author, who has almost no internet presence, and she seems to have done mostly cheesy-looking historical romances, so I don't know that I'll be pursuing any of her previous work. Though they say you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover...

3 comments:

Tom said...

I can't even remember who got me to read this or when... but if you haven't liked a historical fiction you mustn't have read it. Remedy this please.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Strange_&_Mr_Norrell

Rebs said...

Read it, own it, love it.

Do you consider it historical fiction? I suppose it's set in the past, but because it's a fantastical past, I guess I never thought of it as such.

OR, maybe I don't dislike H.F as much as I claim. Maybe I just like poorly written iterations.

Like when I used to tell Eric I didn't like soup and proceeded to order soup almost every time we went out...

(nice to hear from you, by the way)

Tom said...

Didn't you mention one in the last few posts that was about time travel? I was using that measure of historicity. Or maybe that was just a romance example.