Thursday, May 10, 2012

Booklovers (not so) Anonymous

I have a problem. 
As you have just heard, I'm on a serious book kick.In a major way.

I bought the Hunger Games in Spanish (Los Juegos del Hambre!) as a motivation to practice before Eric’s grandmother arrives (from Nicaragua) in July. I’ll get lots of practice then, of course, but it will be at an overwhelming pace, so I wanted to prepare myself for the overload.
AND, I have a deadline: if I want to see the movie with my sister and our friend, I’ve got about 2 weeks.
AND it takes me a long time to read in Spanish. It’s a slow endeavour. 
AND I have other responsibilities...

BUT, I just keep taking out more and more library books. To keep up with my 7-ish book gluttony/escapism; I’ve got to plow through them at a frantic pace. What’s a girl to do?

I need to refrain from putting any more books on hold…I already have a stack of 10 that I’m working my way through. And another 3 that have an ‘in transit’ status, which means they’re creeping towards my library and will be waiting patiently for me shortly…

I think I have an addiction.

Do you think there’s a booklovers anonymous? 

There are worse addictions…though Eric might not agree. He was getting tired of vying for my attention in the evenings and on the weekends. So I’ve been striving for more balance…which means I don’t get through my stack quite as quickly. 

Eric also enjoys solitary pursuits at times – his website, the blogs he reads, his books, random online meandering – so he mostly doesn’t mind. But the difference is he's still interrupt-able. I, on the other hand, don’t hear interruptions easily – I usually am only aware someone is speaking to me near the end of their question/comment, if at all. I’m a frustrating companion when I’m lost in a good (or even mediocre) book.

Balance. Self-control. I'll keep working on it.
And on my Spanish book. Someday. Maybe next week...

No comments: